Cyclophosphamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine and Prednisone.

Did I get your attention from the title? and what are those names?

Well for anyone who has recently or is still under going treatment for Lymphoma then these are some words that will affect you in a rather personal way. These are the chemicals that make up the treatment called CHOP. This is of course not the only treatment for such blood cancer, As this will vary depending on your individual type (B-cell, T-cell)

Now for me the word CHOP means a lot, but also disappointment! as I underwent 4 cycles of CHOP to only relapse part way through the 4th cycle. Of course this was no fault of the treatment, it had a lot  more to do with the disease that was consuming me. The next move for me was Radiotherapy, its strange how this is called a therapy! because depending where you have it it can be quite uncomfortable. The side effects don’t usually present until you are well into your treatment. In concert with radiotherapy I was also subjected to a very high dose of Methotrexate, this is a nasty chemotherapy! as it made me very ill and I was left with a residual level in my body 3 weeks after it was administered. Folinic Acid is used to neutralise the effect of this when used in such high doses, this was also administered via IV. On the day that I went into hospital to have the Methotrexate chemo, there was a pretty purple sign on the wall (to indicate that I will be cytotoxic) this had 48 hours written on it, and I thought that it meant I would be home in 2 days! hmm… try 3 1/2 weeks 🙁

Extranodal NK/T cell lymphoma, nasal type (Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma) was my official diagnosis back in September 2006. I’m almost 3 years in remission and life has certainly changed since that day that I received the news. The person I have to thank for keeping me in good spirit and constantly being there is my wife Clare, with out her I certainly wouldn’t have continued the journey I was subjected to…

If in doubt… get it checked out! 😉

Me TV 1.1.5

I realise that there has been a run on updates for Me TV of late! but any way here’s another…

Here are the list of changes that were addressed in versions 1.1.4 & 1.1.5…


  • More tweaks to the EPG event UI
  • Added check for EPG events before starting EPG thread
  • Fixed information on meters dialog
  • Changed demux filter to only except exact table types by default


  • Heap corruption during channel scanning (LP: #505454)
  • EPG Detail “description” shows only the subtitle (LP: #503051)
  • Not removing display stream when stopping recordings (LP: #506078)
  • Added sl translation

Slow performance on my blog…

Over the last few days I have noticed that the performance has been rather “average” on my Blog! This is notably worse on the admin pages (taking anything between 30-60 seconds to load!) So I’ve gone through the usual debug things like firstly to disable ALL installed plugins (yes performance is restored!) So I then go onto enabling each plugin one by one to attempt to locate the plugin that is causing the grief, only to find that once I have 4 plugins enabled things start to slow down, So I’ve then gone back to disabling all and select another couple and again as soon as I hit 4 plugins enabled I was suffering again! So what is causing me this grief?

Well reviewing the logs there is nothing indicating that there is a problem! So I have upped the memory limit in PHP5 (was 64M now 128M) but his hasn’t seemed to remedy the situation either! So I decided it was time to test a fresh install of WordPress to see if this suffered the same, and it did 🙁

So I’m still attempting to resolve the issue, all the other web applications installed are not affected it’s only WordPress. I’ve been using the bleeding edge for a few months now (currently at 3.0 alpha) but the test install I used 2.9.1 (current stable) So I’m still scratching my head to find out where things aren’t working as they should. I’ve also run some tests over the SQL table and they all check out just fine!

If you have any advice … I’m listening!

Web of Trust (WoT)

It was recently brought to my attention that my website domain had a very poor rating on WoT. I was concerned about this as I host a wiki for the TinyTrak4 community and also I mirror the TinyTrak4 Yahoo Group mailing list using mailman.

However unless you have the pluging that is available from WoT, then you wouldn’t have been alerted to such! So I have added some widgets to my blog and main page indicating my WoT rating.

I thoroughly recommend installing the add-on for FireFox & IE as this gives you a better way to distinguish a site rating, and the ability to rate sites yourself.

To get more information about WoT and the browser add-on, then please visit

Me TV 1.1.3 released

In this release the following issues have been addressed…

  • Use GLib/Gio instead GNet (LP: #503214)
  • Removed deprecated libgnome/ui dependency (LP: #503219)
  • Applied patch from Ludwig Nussel to fix compile error on glibmm 2.16.1
  • Added PES type 0x80 to be a recognised video stream
  • Fix for FTBFS on Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 (LP: #503910)
  • Removed GTK+ 2.16 requirement from UI file
  • EPG now honours the version number field and updates EPG events

The main differences here are that the dependencies for libgnome* have been removed and now is using libgtk* When you update to this version you will be prompted to either remove or update the SQLite database (Channel/EPG information)