Changes to my APRS I-Gate VK7HSE-JS (VK7HSE-3)

I’ve been using APRSD for about 18 months and this has worked well whilst using an i386 system, I’ve just recently upgraded my PC to x86_64 (AMD64 X2 7750) and I’ve discovered since re installing all the necessary software to get the I-Gate back up and running that APRSD has a major bug in x86_64 version because when a TCP connection is established it would cause APRSD to segfault and leave fellow APRS enthusiasts here in my local area without Internet porting. So my solution to this is was to move over to javAPRSSrvr …  Now I’m not familiar with Java one bit so I was rather stumped as to how to get it all working! there is some documentation that comes with this application, but it is aimed at the main configuration file and for those who would already be familiar with Java so I was left to assume that Google would reveal the answer…(sadly NOT!)

Well as this application is for Amateur Packet Radio, there isn’t the user base that would normally make information freely available! The application isn’t open source but is free for Amateur Radio users (some conditions apply!) to use.  So far I can see advantages to using javAPRSSrvr, and I have found one issue that has me scratching my head! there is a section for using ax25 (in ubuntu ax25 is already loaded as modules for the kernels) but the library source seems to be specific for i386 so I haven’t got that bit working just yet! … So the long/short of it all is that now there is a different http appearance to VK7HSE-JS 😀

© 2009, Scott Evans. Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

One Reply to “Changes to my APRS I-Gate VK7HSE-JS (VK7HSE-3)”

Comments are closed.