Back when I first setup and started to experiment with web hosting (using ubuntu 8.10) LAMP stack, locally here at home and in particular WordPress, I was soon to discover that I was in for a very steep learning curve! There a many add-ons for WordPress to extend its basic functionality to be more specific for your needs etc, one thing that caught my attention (but with no knowledge of its purpose!) Was the many plugins for “Google Analytics” well today (now some two years since my site went live) I have finally added Google Analytic code to my home page, blog & mediawiki (TinyTrack4) just to see what happens to drop by for a look.
I don’t recall setting this up for my blog, but I must had because there was already data from August 2009 and then nothing! I’ve certainly experimented with many plugins so is say inadvertently I’ve had something that had analytical requirements (?) So now if I remember to login to my Google account in a week or three it should be of some interest (to me!) to see what traffic is specificly targeting me (bots vs real users)
So if I remember, I’ll blog my first data collection. I do use awstats (restricted to my LAN) and that certainly provides me with more information I know what to do with!
For most users of Android phones would be aware that many of the free applications available in the Android Market contain Google Adverts. This is so that the program developer can earn a small income for their application unless they provide a paid version (no adverts)
Now if you have made the choice to “root” (unlock/jailbreak) and install a custom ROM, most of these come with a modified “hosts” file (/data/etc/hosts) that has a large list of known advertising, stat counters and similar all being redirected to 127.0.0.1 (localhost) so in effect they are forced to resolve to an address where the intended address is elsewhere.
This has two outcomes, the first being that you won’t see the adverts or send statistics to services thus saving you on download data and keeping most websites looking clean and ad free. The second outcome is the loss of potential revenue from those adverts! So the question is…
Should custom Android ROMs block this content and in effect potentially hurt new developers from gaining a small income?
From my point of view I see a valid reason for both, but I noticed that this WordPress for Android application is affected by the modified hosts file for reviewing the stats of my blog because “127.0.0.1 stats.wordpress.com” was included. Ok so some could say just remove that entry and you will be good to go… well yes that would be true, but if a needed service is required by any application that happens to be blacklisted like this is going to fail to function as it should, like me attempting to view my statistics via my Android!
Now if you don’t use an adblock plugin for your browser, you would notice that I have Google adsense advertising on this blog, I’ve never expected it to give me enough revenue to retire! But maybe a few coins to help pay the power/ISP bills! To date I’ve had neither, but I was never expecting that. But if you happen to be viewing my blog with your Android’s custom ROM then you would never had seen the adverts anyway!
So just something to ponder over if a free application has a black bar with nothing filling that space, you have just denied the program developer. 🙁
Now that I use my Android HTC Desire for web browsing, I certainly appreciate sites that provide a mobile (cell phone) friendly option to make browsing on that given site more easier.
So taking that thought, I then set out to find a mobile solution for this blog. What I noticed was the wide use of wptouch that gives you the option to use a standard theme for non mobile browsers, but using a mobile friendly theme for mobile browsers. This is a WordPress plugin not a standalone theme, it’s also available as both a free version and a pro (paid) version.
I think it looks good and has many options for additional plugins and personal tailoring to play with. Should you want the free version for your WordPress blog, simply do a search for wptouch in your plugin panel. 😉
Hmm.. now this has me scratching my head! because I have checked the information against Telstra’s website for their APN settings but I can’t be verified correctly 🙁 This only affects checking your personal account details using 3G as m.bigpond.com if accessed via any other means will not allow you to view your billing or data usage information as you get the following message…
Your phone has not identified itself correctly to Mobile Data Usage Meter. Turn off Wi-Fi if it is enabled. Otherwise, you may need to change the APN setting on your phone. Contact Telstra on 125 111 for assistance.
So this is a little weird, because in LeDrOiD v2.0c when I did an APN restore there was one for prepaid customers and the other for those on plans. I’ve just attempted a restore and I get the ROM’s defaults, that for some reason won’t authenticate for checking your personal account information, however it works just fine for web browsing. So I tried deleting the ones provided by the ROM (Telstra.wap & Telstra.mms) and manually created the suggested setting from the images above, but still at this stage no joy 🙁
So it may be one of many things! Telstra have an issue with their account access, the APN information is wrong or I just haven’t factored in PEBKAC (“Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair”)